The job isn't done until we have fun
Great applications are created when everyone is having fun: designers, developers, testers, managers, the client – and ultimately the users.
Engineering for fun as a desired outcome of software development requires some dead-serious tooling:
- Driving development with Agile processes, either Scrum for new features or Kanban for maintenance
- Bringing skilled UX designers on board in the earliest phase of discovery and requirement analysis
- Providing a robust DevOps infrastructure with Subversion and Git systems, Continuous Integration servers, classic and Docker deployments, and using JIRA issue management systems which are open and transparent to our clients
- Worshipping rapid and super-early prototyping as our holy grail
- Testing our code methodically and automatically for every build
This tried and trusted set-up allows Codemart to tackle huge codebases with internationally distributed teams of contributors. Everyone can stay fairly self-organized while regular, multi-layered oversight nudges the diverse crew towards goals and milestones.